How often you get your electrical system inspected depends on how old your home is and how many appliances you have in it. Most electricians recommend every 3 – 5 years. You should test your GFCI outlets at least twice a year at home, simply by pushing the test/reset button.
Signs You Need an Electrical Inspection
Keep in mind that older houses have older electrical systems that may not be able to support all the appliances and electronics that we use in our daily lives. Even if you own a relatively new home, you should always be mindful of the amount of electricity you use on a daily basis and update your systems as necessary to keep up with our modern lifestyle.
Signs that you have inadequate electrical system include:
- Circuit breakers frequently tripping
- Fuses blowing
- Outlets and switches not working normally
- Outlets are 2 pronged not 3 pronged
- Lights flickering when an appliance, furnace or air conditioner turns on
- Tips for Preventing Electrical Problems In Your Home
- Disclaimer: Risk of Electrical Shock.
There are a few simple things you can do at home but you should only ever have a professional electrician work on anything electrical in your house. DO NOT attempt to perform any maintenance or repairs on your own electrical work.
Some preventative measures you can take to prevent costly electrical repairs are:
- Check your panel for the right size and type of fuses.
- Use a surge protector
- Don’t use bulbs above the recommended wattage for the fixture
- Don’t use extension cords
- Make sure you have properly installed and weatherproofed GFIs
Why Choose Extreme Air & Electric?
If you believe you could benefit from an electrical inspection, don’t hesitate to reach out to the experts at Extreme Air & Electric. We are a second generation family-owned company that has been serving residents of Melbourne, FL for over twenty years. We take pride in delivering exceptional customer service rooted in honesty and integrity. We’re available 24/7 for any emergency needs!